Friday, April 9, 2010

Vintage Clothing on Etsy



I am gradually adding the vintage clothing collection that camellia has in the store onto Etsy.

Today I added this beautiful coat with Japanese embroidery. It really is what I love in vintage clothing: Asian Design, fine embroidery, and of a Organic design. I am excited to be able to offer this coat.

I have had in depth discussions about it with my very experienced friend in vintage clothing: Laura at Isadora's. We believe it to be around the time period of circa 1910-1920. "Circa" giving it a time period of within 10 years or so of the dates.

I Also love to read about fashion design and influences of other countries such as Japan.

The influence of Japan has been an inspiration to fashion for many years.

After opening the port of Yokohama in 1859, Silk became a major export.

At the end of the 19th century, major kimono shops showed interest in Western European Markets and greatly expanded their foreign trade business. Silk coats with Japanese embroidery were one of many products exported to Europe during this period.

This coat was likely made for export in Japan. While it is somewhat Inspired by a Chinese Mandarin Robe, the Robe was made and embroidered in Japan.

Source: “Fashion” A History from the 18th to the 20th Century, Vol I: 18th and 19th century. The collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute.

A taschen publication.

Pgs. 281-303

Both Volumes are wonderful.

No comments: